11 December 2008

dinner parties

There is nothing better than having friends over for dinner. Having two people is best -- you get to actually talk to your guests. After years and years of inviting people over for dinner, I still haven't mastered the art of actually having good conversations when there are more than 4 guests. And even 4 can tax my conversational abilities. I just end up having too much work to do getting everyone's dinner on the table. One would think that now that I am not working, I could pull off a fabulous dinner party where the guests arrived to me sitting in my living room having a cocktail and a canape, listening to soft music and relaxing after having the entire meal prepared and ready to go, table set, child fed, toys put away, appetizers sitting at the ready --- but it hasn't happened yet.
I guess I need more practice devoting an entire day to a dinner. But that doesn't seem likely to happen. My day pulls me in too many different directions (to be expanded upon in further posts, I'm sure), not to mention that I would feel absolutely horridly guilty for spending an entire day on a dinner party. For now I'll just focus on saving that 3 minutes I invariably spend calling my mom to ask her how long to cook a particular cut of meat. For the 18th time. Maybe, now that I'm not working, I can actually write that part down.

No comments:

Post a Comment